This postcard is a reproduction of a 19th-century advertisement for the absinthe brand, Bourgeois Frères (Bourgeois Brothers). The image is one in a series of photos taken featuring a black cat drinking absinthe. When water is added to absinthe, the anise (a key ingredient in absinthe) causes the mixture to turn an opalescent white (resembling milk), with a tint of greenish yellow. This process also releases essential oils in the absinthe, which perfumes the air with the sweet smell of anise. This reaction is referred to as louching, or louche (pronounced loosh).
The postcards are shrink-wrapped in sets of 10.
- Set includes 10 postcards..
- Image measures 4.5" (11.4 cm) x 5.75" (14.6 cm).
- Four color printed on 130 lb poster paper.
- Paper meets United States Postal Service standards for postcards.
- Printed in the United States.